Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July Means Apricot Jam - Yum!!

My favorite apricots (Blenheim) arrived at our Farmers' Market last week and my kitchen has been in a flurry ever since. I invited a good friend over this year to join in this EASY microwave jam session. The recipe (which makes 2 half-pint jars) is HERE.

I decided to get a bit more creative with my tops this year. In addition to fabric circles tied with baker's twine, I also went down to Sur La Table and got some fancy cupcake papers to turn up-side down and tie onto some of the jars. They had so many GREAT choices it was hard to decide which ones to get. I'm getting so into this now that I think I'll paint or color some apricot tags to attach to the jars, too. I got a new batch of apricots this morning so it's off to the kitchen again! SUMMER IS SUCH FUN!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Your preserves look great! Love the cupcake wrapper tops! I have several cookbooks on canning and every summer I tell myself I am going to can something. To date I have only gazed longingly at the cookbooks! Mind you I love to cook and bake, that's not the problem...( I think I am subconsciously worried I am going to give somebody food poisoning!) but this recipe looks so simple! My sister is big into canning her veggies from her garden every year. Maybe this year?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I felt the same way. It took me several years to get up the courage to make this with the sterilized jars and all and feel confident that it was all going to work. For the first two years I had the recipe I just made the 2 jars, put them in the refrigerator and safely consumed them. It wasn't until last year that I tried to jar them like "real" jam that I could store in the cupboard and I was elated that nothing spoiled!! This year I'm working on my 2nd dozen now - Whoopee! If you decide to make this, I may have neglected to state in the recipe that when you take the wax paper off the bowl, before starting the second cooking in the microwave you stir the jam a bit. I say, "if you have great fruit, go for it!!"

      Delete
  2. Your preserves look great!
    I wish I had the talent for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have NEVER had apricot jam... Is that sad?

    It looks wonderful and so do your jars. I love all the different tops. So much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete