Sunday, July 3, 2011

What Else Do Teachers Do During the Summer?

For as long as I can remember, summer has represented seemingly endless hours to devote to reading.This year is no exception. My stack of books to read is ENORMOUS!! These are a few that I finished recently.
I liked all of these and am passing them on to friends to read -- all except the top one. I LOVED this book, but it was such a tear jerker I am afraid to give it to friends without a warning to be prepared. Of course, the author does prepare you in the very first pages that the storyteller (a dog) is near the end of his life as he tells us the story, but I had no idea how deeply I would react. Near the end I could barely read the print through my tears!!! It is going onto my bookshelf. When I feel strong some day, I probably will re-read it because I fell in love with the dog and how he teaches life lessons through the world of car racing.

6 comments:

  1. Those all look like something I'd read, especially the Connelly-I'm a huge Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller fan. I just finished an unusual and quirky(but I liked it) book called the, The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great selection. I also have a big pile - maybe I'll post it too! Just finished a rather unusual book - I think it's a love it or hate it book - I loved it: Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished a great Australian book called 'The Book of Lost Threads' by Tess Evans. Great read for a first time author...don't you just love school holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great -- you all are providing me with a new reading list!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm an art teacher looking for work and just stumbled upon your blog and am drooling over all your lessons, but I have to chime in - The Art of Racing in the Rain is a HUGE tearjerker, I couldn't put it down, and have read it multiple times. But yes, you must warn friends! Thanks for all your posting, and when I find a job I'm sure I'll be back to scope some lessons :)

    ReplyDelete